We want our young people to grow up with a servant heart. There are three ways we engage youth in service:
- Youth Action Team – If you are a high school student in King or Snohomish County you are eligible for this program. The Youth Action Team meets once a month during the school year for leadership training, with a service project following the meeting. There are additional/optional volunteer opportunities throughout the month. Teens can apply for the upcoming school year by submitting an application by July 31st. Click here for more information!
- If you are 16 or older you can volunteer in most of our volunteer positions with a signed Parental Consent Form - General (please bring the form with you on your first volunteering session). Unfortunately, chat and 2-1-1 opportunities are not available for youth volunteers. Please review our opportunities here.
- If you are younger than 16 you can volunteer with your parent or guardian present. Most of our special events are in the evening or on the weekend, and you can register for these online, no application needed.
Youth Action Team is designed to build character, cultivate leadership & inspire collaborative thinking through volunteering.
What is Youth Action Team?
Made possible by Volunteers of America Western Washington and the Major League Baseball Players Trust, Youth Action Team is a group of high school students who want to make a difference in their communities. It is designed to build character, cultivate leadership, and inspire collaborative thinking through volunteering. Each month, team members volunteer in their neighborhoods -- typical projects include: serving food at the soup kitchen, helping with the distribution at the food bank, throwing birthday parties for children, and mentoring runaway teens. Members also engage in monthly leadership trainings where they take part in character building activities and meet influential leaders in the community. Together, we make a difference in the community. We participate in leadership & character building activities, listen to influential guest speakers & volunteer locally!
Youth Action Team ImPACT
- Received the Snohomish County Caring Community Award for outstanding work on behalf of the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program
- Collected over 2,183 toys for kids in need for the holidays
- Made blankets for the children's wing of Providence Hospital in Everett
- Received $6,000 in college scholarship money from the Major League Baseball Players Trust
- Volunteered monthly for the Brightening Birthdays program ensuring that children moving from homeless to permanent housing received a joyful birthday celebration
- Feel great about helping the community!
- Fulfill volunteer hours for graduation
- Opportunity to receive a $2,000 college scholarship
- Receive a Youth Action Team t-shirt
- Get a personalized letter of recommendation for college
- Meet teens from other Snohomish County schools
- Must be a Snohomish County High School student (grades 9-12) (Do you attend school in King County? Email email@example.com)
- Complete the Action Team Application
- Make a commitment to the Youth Action Team for one year (3-5hrs/month, August – May)
- No fees & No GPA requirements
- Attend a leadership meeting on the fourth Saturday of each month in Everett
- Have a passion for giving back
- More information on the Youth Action Team can be found on their Facebook or Twitter
- Questions? Contact Katie Prettyman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-259-3191