- Are you a landlord or tenant with questions about housing discrimination?
Fair Housing Education and Counseling:
Volunteers of America Western Washington actively supports and promotes Fair Housing through education, outreach, and counseling to ensure that people have the opportunity to provide and secure housing without discrimination.
Each year we offer at least 10 Fair Housing training for tenants. Training includes information on:
- Protected classes
- Fair Housing laws, compliance & protections
- Disabilities and accommodations
- Formal complaints
Locations and times TBA
We also have two 3 hour Fair Housing training done in conjunction with the Washington State Human Rights Commission annually.
- For Non-Profit Service Providers:& Community Partners 2020 Date TBA
- For Rental Professionals: 2020 date TBA
In addition to Fair Housing training, Dispute Resolution Center Fair Housing Counselors can meet with landlords or tenants and discuss fair housing concerns and problem solve next steps. These steps may include providing information, coaching, mediation, or referrals to other agencies.
All of the above services and training are free.
Fair Housing Information:
Under the Fair Housing Act, it is illegal to discriminate in the provision of housing based on Protected Classes. Federal and Washington State Protected Classes include:
- Marital Status
- Religion & Creed
- Military / Veteran Status
- Familial / Parental Status
- National Origin / Ancestry
- Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Examples of possible discrimination:
- A person is denied a rental and believes it's because of their sexual orientation, national origin, or family size.
- A person is told over the phone that an apartment is available. When they arrive to see it, they are told it is no longer available.
- After making a reasonable accommodation request to have a service animal, the tenant receives a termination of tenancy notice.
100 Questions Rental Fair Housing Guidebook (Provided by the Fair Housing Partners of Washington State)
100 Questions Real Estate Fair Housing Guidebook (Provided by the Fair Housing Partners of Washington State)
File a formal complaint:
Volunteers of America Western Washington DOES NOT conduct Fair Housing investigations. Fair Housing complaints must be filed within one (1) year of the alleged harmful act or event.
Washington State Human Rights Commission
The Dispute Resolution Center does not provide legal services or legal advice. The information provided is for educational purposes and is not an interpretation of Fair Housing Laws.